Monday, August 21, 2006

Getting the Offline Browser Working...

One of the more interesting functions of Changepoint which we are not utilizing is the ability to take the data offline and synchronize the data once an internet connection is established.

To that end I'm testing the offline capabilities using a newly configured (ie - blanked out to the standards of our IT department) Dell laptop as my testbed. This ensures that no other prior configurations or setting get in the way.

Setting up the configurations for the offline browser is a snap. In the Administration of User Setup there is a Security Access tab with a window to Features. Within the feature set of Mobility are two settings that need to be checked. The first is Offline Browser Synchronization and the second is Save Offline Items.

The first challenge is to get the offline browser to install. Sounds easy, but Windows service pack 2 has made life difficult (for good reasons). My first attempt was thwarted by security settings as I received a warning blocking IE from downloading the necessary CAB files.

The solution is faily easy. Open up the IE options and assign the Changepoint software into your Trusted sites (make sure the https:// setting is unchecked first.

The second time around I received a dialog box complaining that what I'm doing isn't secure, but I received the install or don't install options. This time I installed the software. Once installed, the next dialog box asks for synchronization and I selected yes.

Now for the test, I turned off the laptops network card and from the start button selected the Changepoint Offline Browser and success...

No comments: